9.08.2007

Week 2

This has been a FAST week! I'm sure the Labor Day holiday had something to do with it. Now that we're into our second week, we're well into the nitty, gritty work stuff. We've got a group presentation due in one week, another group project due in two weeks, a quick research project also in another two weeks and Fieldwork I starts soon. I need bigger boxes in my calendar...

One thing I wish I was better at was reading. I'm a pretty slow reader. Let me rephrase that: if I read for leisure and I find the story interesting, I can read pretty quickly. But when I read to study, I often find myself slowing down so I can absorb every detail. One things I'm horrible with are names and dates (I'm surprised I ever passed history). To help me with that, I'll take notes but rarely do I go back to them. These notes are written so it'll make sense to me and are really more for me to be more involved while reading. Just the act of writing it helps me remember. I guess most people in this case would highlight or underline in their book. Maybe I'll make a small arrow to the side but I never liked highlighting. But that's just me and maybe that's why I'm a bit slow in this aspect.

There was an article I read on ZenHabits [via Lifehacker] on how to learn more and study less. In a way, I suppose, it's what I've been doing - making it make sense from the beginning. The author explains that time spent studying does not equal learning. He calls it "holistic learning" - to seek the bigger picture and connect the facts together. It's worth the read.

With that, I've got GOBS of reading to do. For tonight's selection, I'll be reading from this book, this one, this one, this one, this one, and this one. I best be getting started.

No comments: