10.07.2007

T - 7 days... until midterms

So next week is midterms - the sheer volume of readings is beyond measurable. However, because my classmates are on top of it, we've been taking turns outlining the various chapters in all the books. I love my classmates! I haven't freaked out yet but I feel it coming on. Of course, it doesn't help that I'm typing this up when instead I should be reading.

Also, the house is starting to take its form!

I've also been thinking that I need to cut back my hours at work. Part of me wants at least more than one day of "unscheduled" activities (i.e., no classes, no work, just whatever; right now I have Fridays off from school but then again I work Friday nights.) But the other part of me wants to keep the hours - y'know, cuz I love the challenge. I have to admit: it's pure ego. School, work, family, building a new house - that's right, baby - bring it on!! OK, I exaggerate - I'm not the one actually building the house but the impending move does scare me.

I have been working out more - helps me clear my thoughts and also think about how to tackle the day. It's purely cardio though: jogging, treadmill, elliptical. I need to start lifting weights but I have to concentrate more on what I have to do next (what set am I on? how many times did I lift this already? shoot, I lost count) that I usually opt for the cardio.

One of the things I have been thinking more about is this blog. I mentioned in a previous post I think that in order to become a successful OT, I need to OT-ize myself and work on my own challenges. So far, the exercise has been great but I think I need to broaden my view. So I decided to COPM myself. Well, not exactly the official COPM but basically, of all the areas of my concern, focus on the top 5:
  1. Lose weight
  2. De-clutter
  3. Stay on top of reading assignments
  4. Update my calendar on a daily basis
  5. Limit my "leisure" reading
OK, so how I go about this...
  1. Lose weight
    • Reason: I need to do this not only for my health but also to set a good example for my kids. I am already a clumsy person. To be clumsy + carrying extra weight = not comfortable moving.
    • Method: No junk food. Drink more water. I don't drink soda anymore but I do love juice so I need to limit that. Exercise - more weights.
    • Goal: BMI 18.5-24.9, current BMI: too high
  2. De-clutter
    • Reason: I am a pack rat. I can't help it. I think it's genetic.
    • Method: Spend at least 30-60 mins everyday to clean/purge.
    • Goal: Kind of vague right now since I don't know exactly when the house will be done. I want to be packed and ready to move by end of the year though (if not sooner)
  3. Stay on top of reading assignments
    • Reason: Like most people, I procrastinate.
    • Method: Like the cleaning, spend at least 30-60 mins everyday to read.
    • Goal: Stay current with the class readings.
  4. Update my calendar on a daily basis
    • Reason: To stay sane.
    • Method: Um, update my calendar everyday...
    • Goal: Sanity
  5. Limit my "leisure" reading to 30 mins a day
    • Reason: It's part of my escape. Seems though, I "escape" a bit too long when I have other obligations I need to attend to.
    • Method: Quickly skim the headings in google reader, just reading a few. I think I may have to set a timer for this one.
    • Goal: Get other things done.
I was hesitant posting this mainly because I've tried losing weight before and obviously haven't stuck it out long enough to make it work. I hope that posting this makes me more accountable to it though. On one hand, I am afraid to commit to this (and to the world) but on the other, I know I need to. I'll post my progress as I go; if I get brave, I may take pictures but I can't promise that.

Here it goes...

No comments: